Labels

Sunday, September 4, 2011

When Led Zeppelin went experimental

Well, frankly, I feel kind of stiffness in my fingers just starting typing this post... One more post about Led Zeppelin when soooo much has been written already by soooo many different connoisseurs!

But, I started this blog with the intention of sharing about what I like and enjoy, so let us keep on typing!
 
I dare recommend listening to Led Zeppelin's BBC Sessions, a double CD published in 1997 under the guidance of Mister Jimmy Page himself. The first CD is a collection of radio sessions recorded for the BBC just after the band had released their first studio album. The second one consists in a live performance recorded in London in 1971, with songs from albums I to IV.

Amongst the radio sessions come very intersting takes speaking for high interpretation freedom, reinvinting the studio songs in a way that sounds - several times - very close to 'experimental! 
The second CD also contains very nice tracks that testify about how Led Zep took care to rearrange their songs for live performances.

In my opinion this collection is defintely worth discovering or relistening!

Of course I also like very much the - more famous - triple live album How the West Was Won.

Samples on the BBC Sessions at Amazon

Of course, I would be delighted to know what your favourite Led Zeppelin albums are!

No comments:

Post a Comment