Labels

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Blues proposals

No, no, no. I promise, I will not try to wrtie the history of blues, nor will I evoke its own sub styles or the many musical genres it has influencedThis has already been done very well elsewhere, for example on wikipedia.



I prefer shortly introducing a few contemporary bluesmen I like very much.

Starting with Seasick Steve. Blues singer and guitarist, whose gravelly voice, guitar playing and rather rough sound most directly evoke the “idea” of what is called blues.


I suggest a not so old recording, which I consider very representative of his work: Man From Another Time.


Samples are available Amazon


It is only a few week ago that I discovered Napoleon Washington, thanks a music forum. This Swiss bluesman plays a much more "sophisticated" blues, somehow slicker, than his counterpart across the Atlantic.
 
His latest album - Mud & Grace - is listenable online on his own website.



Finally, I propose a band that plays electric blues, which sounds a bit "garage": The Black Keys.
 

Here is an Amazon link to sample tracks of the album by which I have discovered them: The Big Come Up

No comments:

Post a Comment